2022 list now live!
Grown at Hawthorn Gardens 1 gallon pot
2022 GALLON HYBRID AND GOURMET B.S.T.’S
- BIG BEEF VFFNTASt: Indeterminate – 73 days. Smooth fruits to 1lb with rich, old-fashioned flavor, excellent yields, and great disease resistance.
- BIG RAINBOW: Indeterminate – 80 days. Extra large, beautiful, red and orange variety with mild, delicious, low-acid flavor – just ask Jo. Up to 2 lbs.
- BUSH GOLIATH VFN: Determinate – 68 days. Delicious, perfectly round 4 in. fruits on compact, high-yielding plants, great for patios. Up to 1 lb.
- SUNSUGAR TMV: Indeterminate – 62 days. High yielding, 1 in. cherry-type fruits, ripen to deep orange – super-sweet and delicious! I eat them like candy!
- SWEET MILLIONS: Indeterminate – 60 days. Small cherry type with excellent flavor and huge yields of super sweet, dark red fruits. One of the best available!
- CHOCOLATE CHERRY: Indeterminate – 70 days. Extremely flavorful, in bunches of 8 and 1 inch fruits. great variety for a container with a cage.
- BLACK FROM TULA: Indeterminate 80 Days. Russian Heirloom largest of the black tomatoes
- FANTASTIC VFA: Indeterminate-65 Days. More Beefsteak flavor and crack free. 5 inch and heavy producing.
- STUPICE: Indeterminate- 52 Days. Earliest Tomato we grow. Great taste and up to 80 1 to 2 ounce tomatoes from every plant
- MANITOBA: Determinate- 58 Days. 6 ounce early variety for small spaces or containers Great for northern climates!
- NAPA CHARDONNAY BLUSH: Indeterminate- 70 Days. Yellow Blush Cherry tomato that Bill tested in his garden and thinks it will rival the sunsugar in flavor!
- SWEET TANGERINE: Determinate- 68 Days. Limited supply of this new trial variety that is good for containers and grows to 6 ounce fruits.
- OPALKA: Indeterminate- 85 Days. More flavorful than other Paste tomatoes. Long 4-6 inch fruits that are great for pastes and sauces.
- BURPEE EARLY PICK VF HYBRID: Indeterminate – 62 Days. Fine flavor, gorgeous color, solid flesh! Bears fruits early, bumper crops all summer. Beefsteak 5-6 oz fruit.
- *ORANGE HAT: Determinate- 65 Days. Our favorite new micro tomato! Wildly prolific. Sweet Flavor. This is the perfect patio tomato, comfortably fitting in a 6-inch pot.
*NEW FOR 2022
Staking and caging are strongly recommended!
Determinate varieties are plants that are compact and only grow to a pre-determined size such as Bush Goliath. Fruits generally ripen all together for one large harvest. A stake or a cage should be sufficient, not both. These varieties are great for patios and small yards.
The disease resistance identification codes shown below can found on seed packet listings.
This what heirloom varieties do not have. So when growing heirloom varieties be prepared for some challenges, but most times the flavor of an heirloom makes up for those challenges.
V – Verticillium Wilt
F – Fusarium Wilt (FF – Races 1 & 2; FFF – Races 1, 2, & 3)
N – Nematodes
T – Tobacco Mosaic Virus
A – Alternaria Stem Canker
St – Stemphylium Gray Leaf Spot
TSWV – Tomato Spotted Wilt Virus
CHEF JEFF Line:
Standard Tomato Varieties: Beefmaster, Beefsteak, Better Boy, Big Beef, Big Boy, Celebrity, Champion, Early Girl, Golden Boy, Husky Red Cherry, Jet Star, Large Cherry, Mountain Pride, Red Cherry, Roma Plum, Sugar Rush, Superfantastic, Sweet 100, Yellow Pear, Yellow Plum.
Premium Tomato Varieties: 444, Amish Paste, Arkansas Traveler, Beefy Boy, Bradley Pink, Carnival, Chef’s Choice Orange, Chello, Grape Red, Jolly, Lemon Boy, Patio, Rapunzel, Sugary, Summer Sun, Sun Sugar, Sungold, Sweet Cluster, Tidy Treats, Whopper
Heirloom Tomato Varieties: Black Krim, Black Prince, Boxcar Willy, Brandywine, Caspian Pink, Cherokee Purple, Green Zebra, Jubilee, Marglobe, Mortgage Lifter, Mr. Stripey, Old German, Orange Oxheart, Pineapple, Rutgers Select, San Marzano, Wisconsin 55
“Special Red” Tomato Varieties: Health Kick Tomato, Homely Homer Tomato, Independence Tomato, Sir Speedy Tomato, Steakhouse Tomato, World’s Largest Tomato
“Taste of Italy” Tomato Varieties: Juliet Tomato, San Marzano
More Details about Chef Jeff Tomato varieties here: http://www.chefjeff.com/tomatoes/